Doctors: do not prepare formula milk at home The American Academy of Pediatrics said DIY formulas lacked the “essential components that babies need.” (DTM)
The Food and Drug Administration chief said parents who encountered empty shelves when shopping for formula for their children “should start to see an improvement” shortly.
>> Read more trending news
FDA Commissioner Robert Califf testified before a House Appropriations subcommittee on Thursday, telling lawmakers the formula should start reappearing in stores “within days,” NBC News reported.
>>Related: House Panel to Examine Shortage of Infant Formula; When will it be available?
Califf said manufacturers have increased production and imports with the help of military aircraft have begun.
He also said Abbott Nutrition’s factory in Sturgis, Michigan, is expected to resume production by next week the following week at the latest.
“We had to fight Abbott,” Califf said, according to The Associated Press. “I think we’re on track to open it by next week to two weeks.”
But Abbott officials said even if they could get the plant started, it would still take about two months before the newly produced formula hits stores.
Califf said it would be “a few weeks” before supplies returned to normal levels, especially in rural areas, the AP reported.
>> Related: Formula Shortage: Biden Invokes Defense Production Act
The Sturgis plant was shut down after an FDA inspection in January found “significant operational deficiencies” and a bacteria that could put babies at risk for serious foodborne illness in babies, NBC News reported. .
Abbott said its own investigation found “no evidence” linking the factory-produced formula to disease, but the company has corrected “a number of issues,” NBC News reported.
>>Related: Infant Formula: What Is The Defense Production Act And How Will It Help With The Shortage
The Biden administration has introduced several measures to help alleviate supply issues, including authorizing the use of the Defense Production Act and calling for a crackdown on price gouging.
• Shortage of infant formula: Biden announces measures to help reduce supply chain problems
• Infant formula maker Abbott reaches agreement to restart largest production plant
• Why is there a shortage of infant formula? what can parents do?
• Shortage of infant formula: what parents need to know
• Shortage of infant formula: the FDA approves plans to market certain infant formulas produced by Abbott
• Shortage of infant formula worsens, nearly 30% of popular brands are sold out
• Recall alert: more Similac formula added to recall list
• American Academy of Pediatrics offers new advice for parents who can’t get formula
• FDA closes investigation into contaminated powdered infant formula produced by Abbott Nutrition
©2022 Cox Media Group